Here is the honest truth about this recipe. One day, I bought a giant bag of fresh asparagus. We ate this asparagus for a solid week. By the end of the week, there was still more asparagus. Hence, a Saturday morning egg dish with asparagus was born. That story is factual.
Ask my hubby.
He told me that he could not physically handle the taste of asparagus for at least another 7 days. He was exaggerating…I think.
However, this frittata was so yummy, that I beg to differ. I could certainly eat this again. Like real, real soon!This dish is pretty easy, looks pretty fancy, and it’s mighty tasty! It has ground maple breakfast sausage and feta cheese hiding out underneath the asparagus.
I’m telling you, this recipe would be a big hit at a breakfast or brunch get together! It is gluten free, full of protein, and fairly low carb when compared to other standard breakfast dishes!
Sausage Asparagus Frittata
What you need:
- parchment paper
- 16 oz chub of ground breakfast sausage (I used maple for some sweetness)
- 6 eggs
- 1/3 cup of milk
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon of BBQ sauce
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- bunch of thin asparagus (about 20 or so depending how thin)
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees (F). Line an 8 x 8 square baking dish with parchment paper. I measured two identical long, narrow pieces against the dish that were long enough to reach across the dish and narrow enough to line the inside of the dish. I arranged one across the other, kind of in an X. Set aside.
- Heat a medium sized pan on the stove and brown the breakfast sausage according to package instructions until no longer pink.
- Transfer cooked sausage to a bowl by spooning it out, leaving excess grease in pan. Set sausage aside.
- In a medium bowl, scramble the eggs, milk, cheese, BBQ sauce, salt and pepper, and onion powder together. Pour the egg mixture into the prepared glass pan.
- Layer cooked sausage into egg dish and place in oven carefully.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- While the eggs are in the oven, prepare the asparagus by rinsing it and patting it dry to remove moisture. Snap the tough edges of the asparagus off so they fit inside the baking dish.
- After ten minutes, take the dish out of the oven and lay the asparagus on top, as close together as possible. Place back into oven and bake for 15 minutes more or until egg dish is firm and barely golden.
- Let dish cool for 5 minutes or so and transfer from baking dish to cutting board by pulling up on parchment paper. It should be transferred easily.
- Slice dish and serve immediately!