These shrimp tacos are super simple and can be whipped up in a jiffy. They’re fresh and light and they’ll make you wish you were sitting by the ocean with the sand between your toes. I am like, a taco addict. I bet you I could eat a shrimp taco or fish taco every day for the rest of my life and not be tired of them. They’re just SO good. I think part of the reason why I like them so much is because I literally never heard of a shrimp taco until I moved to Colorado. Dead serious. No joke. I didn’t even realize that people ate any fish other than catfish, and all I knew was that we ate it at the annual Rotary Fish Fry. I am not even kidding! I lived in a tiny town on the Mississippi River until I was 13. It was Small Town, USA. I knew Chevy trucks were better than Fords, ground deer meat was a great substitute for ground beef, and the bubbly drink that comes in a can was called “pop”. Was I sheltered? Naiive maybe? Call it whatever you want to call it. I guess I moved to Colorado and my eyes were opened. But I’m proud to have Midwestern roots. I love how versatile tacos are. If you change the spices and leave everything else the same, it’s a different taste! If you switch out the shrimp for fish, again, it would taste a little different! Feel free to add or take out anything you want! This recipe is great for quick lunches on the weekend, or weekday dinners when you are in a rush. These tacos just so happen to be Gluten Free and Dairy Free as long as you follow the recipe!
Shrimp Tacos with Cilantro Lime Sauce
- 1 to 1 1/2 lbs raw shrimp (frozen work just fine too)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime or 1 teaspoon of lime juice
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (I used lite soy sauce)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- small garlic clove or garlic powder
- fresh chopped cilantro
- chili powder
- garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- oil for cooking
- 6 corn tortillas
- avocado, sliced
- lettuce, or anything else you might want to put on your taco
What to do:
- First, we want to make the sauce. In a small bowl, add the mayo, lime juice, soy sauce, honey, and garlic. Combine well with a fork or whisk. Then add chopped cilantro and stir all together. Set sauce aside in refrigerator.
- Next, we cook the shrimp. If your shrimp have tails, shells, veins, or anything like that, remove them. Rinse the shrimp until they are clean, then blot them dry with a paper towel. When they are dry, season them with garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Heat a tablespoon or two of oil in a pan on medium high heat. Add shrimp to heated pan one at a time, making it so they are all in one layer. Cook shrimp for a minute or two on each side until they change from clear to a pinkish white color. After they’re done, transfer shrimp to a plate so they don’t overcook.
- After the shrimp are cooked, heat up your tortillas. I’ve found the easiest way to do this is to dampen a paper towel and cover the tortillas with the damp paper towel before you microwave them. Microwave tortillas for 30-45 seconds or until soft.
- Slice up some avocado and lettuce or any other ingredients you want to add to your taco.
- Assemble your tacos by adding 2 or 3 shrimp to each taco and loading it with lettuce and avocado and topping it off with the cilantro lime sauce.
- Eat and ENJOY!
Notes:**These shrimp tacos are gluten-free (GF) and dairy free (DF) as long as you use corn tortillas! They are also fairly low in carbs, I would just count how many carbs are in your tortilla, and maybe switch out the honey for stevia or agave! These tacos are happy and healthy for just about everyone! 🙂