Mamma Mia! That’s a spicy meat-a-ball-uh!
Not really, though. That was just to make you laugh. This dish isn’t spicy at all. (Sorry if I got your hopes up.)
I can come up with hundreds of words to describe this delectably tasty, meaty, cheesy, bubbly, mouth-watering, tempting, jaw-dropping recipe. But spicy is not one of them.
So! Meatballs, yes. This recipe is a twist on the classic Meatball Sub sandwich. I called it Deep Dish Meatball Subs because I felt like if I gave it a name that included the word “casserole”, it sounded like it had some kind of soup in it, and casseroles are generally associated with being boring and bland. This dish is NOT bland or boring, I promise you. It’s got biscuits that puff up in the pan, frozen meatballs that cook themselves in the oven, a can of sauce, and cheese all over it. If you’ve ever loved a meatball sub sandwich, you will be downright dumbfounded when you get a bite of this effortless dinner dish.
Want to know something? That “Mamma Mia…!” quote is from an Alka Seltzer commercial from 1969. I wasn’t even born in 1969. In fact, my parents were still toddlers in 1969. And yet, almost all of us know the “spicy meat-a-ball-uh” voice. That just cracks me up.
This is one can of refrigerated Pillsbury Grands biscuits. Just open the can and try not to get scared when it pops (hehe, gets me every stinkin’ time). Then you want to cut them into eighths like this!
After you combine the biscuits with the sauce, you have a pretty thin and seemingly sparse bottom layer. Don’t worry, though. I took the frozen meatballs and kinda filled in the gaps and added some extra ones here and there. You can certainly make your own meatballs, but I am always shooting for fast and easy. Of course…the more meatballs, the merrier!
Get some cheese-loaded action going and get that baby into the oven!
Deep Dish Meatball Subs
- 1 can of Pillsbury Grands! refrigerated biscuits
- 26 oz can of spaghetti sauce, your choice
- 1 bag of frozen meatballs (found in the frozen appetizer section)
- 8 oz bag shredded mozzarella cheese
What to do:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees (F) and grease a 9 x 13″ baking dish.
- Open can of biscuits and cut each biscuit into 8 pieces.
- Place cut biscuits into medium bowl and cover with half a can of spaghetti sauce (1 1/2-2 cups).
- Spoon 1 or 2 tablespoons of leftover sauce over bottom of greased baking dish.
- Pour biscuits into baking dish and spread into thin layer, covering bottom.
- Layer frozen meatballs on top of biscuits, filling in gaps.
- Sprinkle bag of cheese over top, liberally.
- Bake dish in oven for 30-40 minutes, or until cheese is golden.
- Serve warm with extra sauce on top, if you prefer.
And here’s the commercial with the “Spicy Meatball” guy, if you need a little laugh 🙂